Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 10 - A Day Off in Dortrecht

After a bit of thought, I figured that a day off on a Sunday in Dortrecht would be a more economical solution than spending two days in Rotterdam before taking the ferry back to England. The Camping Polderand was only 5.70 Euros a night and the campsite in Rotterdam was nearly 15.00 Euros a night, so the maths were pretty simple.

What I had not counted on was the fact that in Holland, and in Germany, the Sundays are pretty slow, with shops closed all day, or a few open only for a few hours.

I arrived in Dortrecht, a happy tourist, only to find that the only place I could order a coffee for breakfast was the local McDonalds. I even tried to enter a "Coffee Shop" but was told that unless I was a citizen of Holland, I couldn't enter. This was because the government passed a law to curb all the tourists smoking dope in the coffee shops. I started to now understand why I got strange looks from older people when I asked for a coffee shop, they thought I wanted drugs. I should have been asking for a cafe. Man, that cleared up a whole raft of weird conversations from the last week.

Here are some pictures of an empty Dortrecht, and some of a cat.










No comments:

Post a Comment