Friday, September 13, 2013

Some Pictures from the August Adventure

Hello All,

After nearly a year and a half of planning, I finally actually accomplished the trip I had planned to do; ten days, 70km per day, through Belgium and Holland. The whole trip exceeded my expectations and it was the retreat that I never thought I would have.

Here are some of the details:

  • Bike sent to Lille on the Thursday 01 August
  • I followed on Friday 02 August on the first Eurostar train to Brussels at 06h50 in the morning
  • Off to Roubaix, in the suburbs of Lille to catch the canal
  • I rode an average of 70km per day, but got lost every once in a while trying to locate campsites, but nothing serious. I believe I covered nearly 750km over the time I was gone
  • One day off - the Sunday 11 August, so that I did not have to spend two days in Rotterdam. Dortrecht seemed like a good idea for a Sunday break. I was kind of wrong about that one.
  • 12 days away and only 7.5kg of gear.
  • Minor achievements - didn't get sunburned once. Changed my mudguards with the tools I had. Didn't turn on my mobile phone for three days. Kept to 20.00 Euros per day and had no physical aches or pains.
  • Convinced I could do 1000km someday, but would need to set aside 17 days for it. I am not a fanatic

Use the archive links on the right hand side of this blog (in 2011 and in December of that year - yes, I have been planning it that long)to go to each day; I have edited them with extra pictures and all so that it all fits together. Hope it works, and hopefully you'll find it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment